WISCONSIN ASSOCIATION OF CRIMINAL DEFENSE LAWYERS
The Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (WACDL) seeks an organized and committed individual to lead the organization as Executive Director. The Executive Director oversees all aspects of the organization’s work in close coordination with the Executive Committee and Board of Directors to support Wisconsin’s community of criminal defense lawyers.
The successful candidate will have excellent verbal and written communication skills, be well organized, will demonstrate initiative, and be able to work on multiple, diverse projects simultaneously. They will be energetic and personable, and be able to convey the mission of the organization to a wide variety of audiences.
The Executive Director works in distinct organizational areas: membership support, organization of board meetings and seminars, oversight of a very active listserve, website content, and administration. The successful candidate will have demonstrated, relevant experience in all areas, or an ability to excel while learning quickly (preferably with experience in an organizational leadership capacity). Experience in administering a website is an advantage.
A strong and enthusiastic commitment to defending the rights of those charged with a crime is strongly preferred. Knowledge of the law is helpful.
The work is not directed or supervised on a daily basis. It calls for independent initiative and an ability to attend to multiple tasks simultaneously. The work is part-time, and the weekly time commitment varies from 10 – 30 hours depending on the time of year and event schedule. It requires occasional overnight travel and evening and weekend work. The responsibilities of the position can be met from a home or professional office. The position is available starting c. March 1 and offers competitive compensation.
Interested candidates should submit a resume to email@example.com and enter the phrase “Executive Director Search” in the subject line. Candidates should also submit a compelling cover letter. The job application deadline is February 11, 2022.
Executive Director Duties and Tasks
The Executive Director of the Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (WACDL) provides professional management of the day-to-day activity of the organization. Over the course of a year this includes, at a minimum, the following tasks, in no particular order:
- Manage membership renewals: prepare notices, process snail mail renewals, and resolve issues such as double payments, etc.
- Maintain membership records, update addresses and other changes, etc.
- Respond to members’ requests re passwords, list serve problems, etc.
- Prepare membership brochures
- Arrange printing and mailing of membership renewal notices
- Track down new addresses for renewal notices returned by post office
- Develop new membership solicitations
- Coordinate printing and mailing of new member solicitations
- Send welcome emails to all new members
Meetings/Board of Directors
- Make all meeting arrangements: venue, meals, AV, etc.
- Attend meetings and seminars and manage venue issues
- Administer elections for board of directors
- Maintain board of directors records
- Prepare board meeting agendas: coordinate reports from Strike Force, Amicus Committee, NACDL representative
- Review board meeting minutes and post
- Manage mailing lists for board, past presidents
- Frequent communications with WACDL officers
- Coordinate special events such as receptions, press conferences, etc.
- Manage Zoom account
- Make all arrangements with venues – negotiate prices, set-up, schedule, meals, resolve on-site issues, etc.
- Prepare marketing brochures for seminars
- Post seminar announcements to list serve
- Arrange printing and mailing of seminar brochures; prepare mailing lists
- Process snail mail registrations
- Maintain attendance lists
- Remind speakers to submit outlines and materials
- Post seminar materials in Dropbox for participants
- Submit applications for CLE credits
- Provide certifications of seminar attendance to members as needed
- Prepare forms and review seminar evaluations
- Coordinate and arrange reimbursements for speakers
- Manage Zoom webinar account
- Administer list serve and web site: resolve problems with email addresses, inability to receive list serve postings.
- Maintain organization records
- Post new documents/data to brief bank, and defense library, etc. on website; create new categories as necessary
- Post information re experts to website; create new categories as necessary
- Manage website actions as needed.
- Manage relationship with IT consultant Herkimer Media, including website upgrades and revisions: troubleshooting and resolution
- Update site as needed re dues, awards, etc.
- Monitor list serve posts for problems, issues.
- Respond to email form submissions received from the public via the website.
- Post calls for nominations for Niblack and Coffee awards
- Solicit Hanson nominations; confirm details of Hanson nominations
- Coordinate selection process with past presidents/Niblack committee
- Order/pick up awards: Coffee and Niblack
- Prepare Hanson awards
- Maintain award records
- Post announcements on list serve
- Organize Lobby Day: schedule participants and legislators
- Follow legislative activity and coordinate with legislative affairs committee
- Prepare press releases as needed
- Handle/refer interview requests from reporters
- Monitor Wheeler Reports and Legislative Notices for relevant criminal law issues
- Receive and forward as appropriate notices of SCOW rule hearings
- Enter legislative districts in data base for members who provide it with snail mail renewals.
- Approve and forward accounts payable to treasurer and bookkeeper (printing, mailing house, awards, PO Box, etc.)
- Coordinate as needed with bookkeeper and treasurer
- Manage relationships and payments with vendors for annual seminar
- Manage relationships with potential advertisers
- Coordinate renewal of post office box as needed
- Collect mail from post office box
- Process checks received: enter data in membership records
- Forward checks to bookkeeper for banking
- Manage relationships with credit card processors
- Arrange for printing brochures, stationary
- Manage stored paper files
- Reply to prisoner correspondence and other inquiries from the public
- Attend SPD conference as needed; negotiate display table fee and coordinate arrangements